Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
On our website you can find numerous articles about beautiful indoor and garden plants. If you are looking for useful information or important care tips for your speechless but adorable roommates, then you will definitely find it with us. In addition, we regularly provide you with unusual, but very stylish and easy to imitate decoration ideas with flowers. Do your research depending on the season and you will surely be impressed by the rich array of creative ideas. Today we want to make a small contribution to the big topic. In the following we will take a close look at the freesias and report in detail on these natural beauties with a little exotic flair. They surprise us with their endless blaze of color and an intoxicating scent. They are a balm for the eyes and soul and decorate the house and garden for months. In addition, we explain the most important tips for the proper care of freesias. Stay tuned!
The freesias score with their extremely elegant appearance.
The freesias originally come from South Africa and came to Europe about 100 years ago. They were first grown as houseplants and mainly used to decorate bouquets. After you later selected those freesias that thrive outside even in colder temperatures, they also conquered the garden bed.
The South African beauties were named after the German researcher and doctor Friedrich Heinrich Theodor Freese (1795 - 1876) in the 19th century and still bear his name today.
Delicate white and pink flowers on long thin stems.
- Characteristics of freesias: what distinguishes these flowers?
The delicate freesias are perennial bulb flowers. Freesia x hybrida scores with its very elegant look. The flower grows to a height of 25 to 40 cm and has narrow stems and grass-like leaves. Graceful inflorescences develop laterally on the thin long stems. These enchant all gardeners and flower lovers with their colors and an unmistakable scent. The attractive flowers are in gorgeous colors, for Example in white, yellow or orange. But there are also pink, red and purple freesias. The color palette is literally endless, because they come in all different shades, can also be monotonous or multicolored. They exude a subtle scent resembling a mix of roses and lilacs with a small dose of lemon aroma. This pleasant smell is also a typical feature of freesias. The elegant flowers have a beguiling effect on our senses.
Freesias in a pot - a balm for our senses!
What you should know about caring for freesias
The freesias are basically sensitive to the weather. But most of the varieties that you can buy here in Germany have already adapted to our climate and get along well with it. However, we have summarized for you what you should consider when caring for these beauties.
- Location/soil: Freesias love it warm and humid. Therefore, choose a warm but semi-shady place in the garden where the blazing midday sun does not shine too strongly. The soil should ideally be well drained, rich in humus and have a neutral to basic pH. Although the flowers love it moist, you need to avoid waterlogging. Just like constant drought. Both can literally destroy the beautiful flowers.
The fragrant flowers cut a fine figure in the garden.
- Watering and fertilizing: When watering, it is best to ensure that the freesias have soil moisture that is as even as possible. Because of this, you need to water the flowers regularly, especially before the July flowering period. However, make sure that the inflorescences do not get any water from above. They don't like that at all! A regular supply of nutrients to the soil is also necessary. That is why we recommend using liquid fertilizer for flowering plants. This is good for the freesias and they will thank you with beautiful flowers.
Flawless beauty in white.
- Overwintering: Freesias are delicate plants that are not hardy. Therefore, they must be brought into the winter quarters before the first frost. Otherwise there is a risk that they will freeze to death outside. After flowering, the tubers can remain in the ground for a maximum of six weeks. Choose only large and he althy tubers for overwintering. You must do this at one store in a dry place indoors, at a room temperature between 15 and 20 degrees. It would be best if you let the tubers overwinter in a wooden box or in a cardboard box.
This beautiful flower is not hardy.
- Planting: You can buy freesias as potted plants or rather tubers, which you can then plant yourself. No matter which variant you prefer, you have to pay attention to the good quality. Plant the tubers in May when there is no longer any danger of frost. But you should soak them in warm water first and then plant them 5 to 10 cm deep. The first beautiful blossoms will appear in July.
With proper care, you can look forward to this splendor of colors in summer.
- Where are the attractive flowers used?
In a pot or bed, beautiful, colorful freesias decorate the house and garden and spread a wonderful aroma. They are also in demand as cut flowers. These can be used for flower arrangements, because the finely scented beauties can be combined well with other flowers. They belong to bouquets on the occasion of weddings and other celebrations. But they are also excellently used as table decorations and always represent a discreet highlight. They refresh the room and create a pleasant atmosphere, which they fill with their flowery-woody smell with a fine note of pepper.
A nice gift for the bride!
The best table decoration at home!